SXM News Update: Spirit Relief Flight, Electricity & Water Restoration Updates, More
The communities of Sint Maarten and Saint Martin continue to work tirelessly to clean up and repair the damage caused by Hurricane Irma. It’s tiring work, indeed, and it remains extremely important for those of us that are not on the island to continue to support them any way we can.
At SXM Strong, we’ll continue to provide you updates on the rebuild effort and as much information as we can find about the progress being made. We’re committed to helping the people of the island rebuild and have already raised over $2,000 — selling SXM Strong t-shirts, which you can get here — for local relief efforts. Of course, every little bit counts so please visit our Donate page and give if you can.
Here are a few quick news updates for Friday, September 22:
- Spirit Airlines relief flight will be departing SXM to FLL at 2 pm today. You can get more information here, but if you want to catch that flight you need to be at the airport.
- We posted a listing of physicians taking patients in Saint Martin (French side) along with some information on school registration starting next week. You can read more about that here.
- GEBE announced yesterday that their goal is to have water and power fully restored within the next month, barring any unforeseen issues.
- As of Wednesday, Electricté de France (EDF) announced that 40% of French Saint Martin has power restored. Most of those were homes and businesses with underground cables. They continue to work on rebuilding the above ground wires.
- President Daniel Gibbs said that water and electric should be completely restored within 2 months of Irma.