Well folks, we’re heading in the right direction. There’s no question that the recovery process has been difficult so far, and will continue to be for a much longer time. But progress is being made — irregardless of the political bickering — as the people of the island come together.
With the opening of Princess Juliana International Airport for commercial service, there’s a sense of normality in the air. Of course, it’s important for us to not be fooled, and to continue to understand that things are nowhere near normal. There is still an enormous amount of work to do and the island still needs every bit of help it can get (please donate here).
While controversy surrounds the aid package that the Kingdom of Netherlands will provide to Sint Maarten, the European Union has announced separately that Dutch Sint Maarten will receive an aid package similar to French Saint Martin (Daily Herald).
European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker confirmed that the aid will be forthcoming, stating “In parallel [with St. Martin], the Commission is taking all the necessary measures to release all possible aid without delay.”
It was rumored that because Sint Maarten is a separate country within the Kingdom of the Netherlands, that they could receive less funding from the EU. This puts that notion to rest and opens the way for EU backed aid.
Sol Antilles have announced that all five of their Sol gas stations on the island are up and running, back at full capacity. The stations are located at Tackling, Sucker Garden, St. Peters, Risdon’s and Madame Estate.
Day care centers
Multiple day care centers have been fully inspected and given the green light to reopen:
- Alexander’s Early Stimulation & Development Center – Betty’s Estate # 8
- Busy Body – Fr. PA Barbanson # 8 – Simpsonbay
- Brighter Child – Zagersgut lane # 4 – Cul de Sac
- Care Bears – Tiger Rd # 10 – Cayhill
- Children’s World – Hibiscus road # 1 – Saunders
- Ebenezer Learning Center – Ebenezer road # 92 – Ebenezer
- Little Explorers – Wesley street # 7 – Cole bay
- Lucia’s Baby Center Foundation – Defiance road # 6 – Defiance
- Rainbow Bright – L. B. Scott road # 168 – South Reward
- Tiny Tots – Maho tree drive – Orange grove
- Lucia’s Learning Center – Defiance road # 3 – Defiance.
- Ms. Ingrid Home Care – Watling Rd. 11D – Madame Estate
- Educare Learning Center – Pinel Key Dr. 36 – Defiance
- Fun ‘n Learn Kids Pre-school in Maho tree drive – Orange grove
- Kids World United Daycare Center – Kings drive # 2 – Dutch Quarter
- M&M – Hope Estate # 11B
- Speckles Corner – Clement de Weever drive # 33 – Union Farm
- Jubilee Joy in Meadowlands drive # 3 – Retreat Estate (owner decision to resume in November)
Please help rebuild SXM and give today. Click here to visit the SXM Strong donate page. Thank you!